I have been attempting to make homemade pesto FOREVER!
One BIG problem: it cost more to buy just the pine nuts then it is to just buy the store made or go out to dinner and order it.
Solution- scrap the pine nuts. I know, I must be a genius.
I found recipes that use walnuts, pecans, almonds, and sunflower seeds.
We had a jar of sunflower seeds! Yay cheap(er) pesto!
3 cups basil
2-3 cloves garlic
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup roasted sunflower seeds
Crank of black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
squeeze of 1/2 a lemon
3 Tablespoons olive oil
*1/3 cup pasta water
1. Put everything except the olive oil in a food processor or blender, and pulse until smooth.
2. While continuously blending, slowly add olive oil until mixture is loose.
I made the pesto before going on a 4 mile run and left Rich in charge of making a creamy sauce to mix it with, and noodles.
I came back to bacon frying. I guess I was not going to get away with two meatless dinners in a row.
Creamy Pesto Pasta with Tomatoes and Bacon
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk (or cream)
1 pinch of flour
1 box rotini ( I wanted the fancy cavitappi, but it was “too expensive” blah blah)
1 cup diced tomato
5 (eeek) slices of bacon (This is why Rich does not build our menu for the week)
1. Prepare noodles. Make sure to reserve some to add to pesto, I usually do about 1/3 cup.
2.Warm butter and milk in a saucepan. Add flour to help thicken.
3. Add some pasta sauce to pesto to help loosen, and add pesto to cream sauce.
4. Drain noodles, add to serving bowl and toss with pesto.
5. Add diced tomatoes and cooked bacon and toss.
Top with a sprinkle of parm or mozzarella and serve.
I love that Rich helped me out and made the main meal. I even secretly loved all the bacon, but don’t tell him.