Meatloaf is Rich’s favorite meal.
Right after we got engaged I found a recipe for a “meat”loaf that was meatless.
I am pretty sure Rich was tempted to ask for my ring back.
Lucky him, we found a bacon crusted, tabasco covered, meaty meatloaf to compete with Mama’s.
2lbs ground turkey meat
6 slices double fiber bread
1 cup skim milk
heaping cup of shredded parmesan
1/3 cup parsley
1 1/2 tsp salt
generous amount of ground pepper
1-2 cloves minced garlic
Ketchup sauce (recipe follows)
bacon (enough to cover)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup tabasco ketchup * or 1 cup reg. ketchup and add tabasco*
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium, soak bread in cup of milk. Bread should absorb all of milk.
2. In a large bowl, mix turkey, parm, bread, eggs, salt, ground pepper and garlic. Use your hands to mix, making sure bread is broken up.
3. On a broiler pan, form turkey loaf mixture into loaf.
4. Cover loaf with bacon using horizontal strips, may have to trim the bacon to make it fit the loaf better.
5. Slather the ketchup mixture over the top and sides of loaf.
6. Bake for 1 hour, checking on the loaf after 45 minutes.
Serve with some mash, or sweet taters and green beans.