I am not sure what Rich was thinking.
This cannot be worse for you then pasta.
I made something completely boring and healthy.
He is just showing off.
1/2 cup dark beer
1/2 cup tonic water
1 tablespoon oil
1 egg white
1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 slices of a large onion separated.
1. Pour beer and tonic into a blender, add pepper, mustard, salt, onion powder and pulse to combine.
2. Add flour and process until smooth. It may be slight lumpy but that is just fine.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the egg white until frothy, and gently stir in flour mixture.
4. In a bowl place sliced onions, and cover with milk. Let soak for 10 minutes.
5. Dip onion rings in batter and fry small batches in oil – we used our new deep frier- not my favorite gift but Rich likes it.
This was not my idea…but seriously delicious.